Re: [css3-lists] Proposal for a generic numeric list-style-type

From: Gabriele Romanato <gabriele.romanato@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:13:54 +0200
To: Markus Ernst <derernst@gmx.ch>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Interesting. Honestly, I think this would be rather expensive in terms
of CSS rendering, though the language information is something that a
UA should know well, provided that a web document contains the
aforementioned language information. Otherwise, the UA should use its
default language information defined by the UA user. The problems is
that a UA should perform a massive comparison between a list of
supoported languages and the corresponding list of list-style-type
values for a given language X.  What is the impact on performance?
Further, CSS specs provide yet a basic support for list-style-type
internazionalization, though it could be extended, as you say.
However, there's also the problem of rendering a style information in
the form of an alphabetic system after a given number of letters. For
example, in Western languages we have 27 letters in our alphabets.
Specs say that after the 27th letter, the rendering of list-style-type
is undefined. What happens to a list of 28 items? So I think that what
you're proposing right now is not so feasible, though interesting.

http://www.css-zibaldone.com
http://www.css-zibaldone.com/test/  (English)
http://www.css-zibaldone.com/articles/  (English)
http://onwebdev.blogspot.com/  (English)