Re: UA's implementation of ::selection

From: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>

> On May 15, 2010, at 2:24 AM, David Hyatt wrote:
>
>> Yeah this seems reasonable to me.  I'll make that change in WebKit.
>>
>> dave
>
> Wait; whaaaat?
>
> If I do this...
>
> p { color:#999; }
> p::selection { color:black; }
>
> ...then I will no longer get the UA text-selection background-color? That
> does not seem reasonable at all to me.

Well, it's. When you specify a selection color,
you should not rely on the "default" selection
background-color.

Imagine we're on an OS for which the default
selection highlight is white text on black bg.
Your rule may end up by having no readable
text on the screen when the selection occur.

By forcing the developer to specify a background
color, we avoid this problem (at least, we suppose
the author will use a readable bg/color combination).

Please note it's the behavior of both IE and Opera.