Re: Selectors, vendor prefixes (again...) and IE9 and Opera

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:01:06 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Le 14/05/10 11:39, Anne van Kesteren a écrit :

> I think the cat may be out of the bag with that one. We also ship it as
> ::selection. Much like with overflow-x/overflow-y there is little point
> in going back I think. In fact, it would break things.

This is not at all a satisfactory answer I must say. The fact that
Opera and Microsoft both made a mistake here is (a) not a reason _at
all_ to give a free hand (b) almost promises that both implementations
will not be interoperable.
Please note that Mozilla's implementation is ::-moz-selection.

On another note, we cannot have a policy for some cases and a laxist
behaviour for some others. All browser vendors agreed on the prefix
policy, and ::selection is something that all browser vendors know
was discussed at some point in the WG and later removed because "at
risk". Honestly, I doubt there are zillions of ::selection use cases
in the wild, and

   I urge both Microsoft and Opera to move back to vendor prefixes here.

If you're in hurry, let's discuss your specs here.

I said it on my blog about Microsoft but I can say it here about Opera
too: unless I missed a message, I don't think your spec for ::selection
was ever submitted to the WG...

</Daniel>