Re: Fw: RE: [css-flexbox] Summary of planned changes to Flexbox Module

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> The flexbox spec. My point is that calc(20px + 1fl) collapsed with calc(10px
> + 2fl) is not the same as calc(20px + 2fl) in general. It evaluates to 10px
> + 1fl + max(10px, 1fl).
>
> But I think we can get away with genuinely collapsing calc(20px + 1fl) with
> calc(10px + 2fl). Probably.

Actually, it's unnecessary to do that sort of simplified collapsing.
We can do genuine collapsing like you describe above without making
anything any more complex.

max(10px, 1fl) is equivalent to a 1fl with a min of 10px, which is a
case we already have to handle for width/height, so it doesn't make
the computation any more difficult.  The only tricky part is wording
the explanation of how to collapse in a clear way, but that's
solveable.