Re: Policy for one vendor using the vendor-prefix from another vendor?

From: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 01:40:17 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
On Tuesday 11 May 2010, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Le 11/05/10 21:29, Alex Mogilevsky a écrit :
> > Prefixes are intended for experimental and proprietary features. In this
> > case, it is a proprietary feature of Webkit that is used by enough
> > content that it becomes attractive to be compatible with. Although it is
> > not the direction we would like to see as a standards group, it is
> > conceptually no different from third parties opening PDF or RTF files...
>
> -moz-border-radius was an even more attractive property than
> -webkit-text-size-adjust to all web designers and I don't think other
> implementors implemented that mozilla proprietary extension...

Just for the record KHTML has adopted several -webkit- properties which
automatically translates to similar -khtml- properties. Some of these where
originally -khtml- properties later renamed in the webkit branch, but some
like -webkit-border-radius are later developments. The rationalle for reusing
vendor-properties in these cases have that we also share the implemenation of
the property.

Looking forward though, I Personally see no problem with reusing -moz- and -
ms- properties either. If these properties catches on, it is more of a hint to
the W3C to move quicker to standardize those properties before it is too late.

`Allan