Re: Policy for one vendor using the vendor-prefix from another vendor?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:09:10 -0400
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On 5/11/10 3:03 PM, Simon Fraser wrote:
> I propose that the section on vendor prefixes here
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-syntax/#vendor-specific>
> should strongly discourage cross-vendor prefix usage.

That might conflict with discouraging anti-competitive behavior by
vendors attempting content lock-in by advertising their prefixed
properties widely.

Or put another way, if every single piece of mobile content (as
determined by the sites involved, who sniff the UA string and assume
that anything running on a mobile device gets a different site that they
happened to design against the iPhone) out there just happens to require
support for a -webkit- property to render correctly, then other UAs
might find themselves forced to implement the same prefixes.

This isn't a hypothetical situation; there are some people advocating
that Mozilla do the same thing with certain -webkit- properties on
mobile, for exactly the reason I describe above.

-Boris