Re: Fw: RE: [css-flexbox] Summary of planned changes to Flexbox Module

On Sunday 2010-05-09 12:48 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> I think that algorithm used in Gecko has an error or
> if it is correct (that mysterious "additive" to something?)
> then it is highly non-intuitive.

Flex is an addition to the preferred width, not a replacement for
it.  Having it this way is essential for building complex widgets
using flex.  For example, suppose you have a widget like the URL bar
in Firefox where one part in the middle is flexible (the part where
you enter the text) but there are a bunch of other parts (favicon,
bookmark and SSL indicators).  If you want to use that widget in
something larger where it is, itself, flexible (but say, not the
only flexible thing), you still don't want it to end up smaller than
the sum of the minimum width of its flexible part and the widths of
its nonflexible parts.  So you don't want to assign it a width; you
want to say that it has a width to start off, and then it flexes to
fill additional space (because that flex really ends up being
assigned to the one flexible piece inside it).

-David