Re: [css3-content] "content" property, replaced elements, and width

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 2010-05-08 12:05 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>> David, do you remember any discussion of what should happen
>> if you have style:
>>
>> p { content: "test" }
>>
>> on DOM like this:

>> ?
>
> I presume it's rather like the real content of the p has
> 'display:none', except that you have the generated content instead.
>
>> p:hover { content: "test" }
>> case is also interesting.
>
> I'd think it's interesting in a manner similar to p:hover { display:
> none } or p:hover > * { display:none }.

In fact, the behavior is almost identical to this:

p:hover > * {
 display: none;
}
p:hover::before {
 content: "test";
}

Only with some extra magic that also hides the anonymous inline children of <p>.

On that note, what should happen with the following?

p { content: url(image); }
p::before { content: "foo"; }

I presume it should fall under the same "undefined" banner that
setting img::before does, correct?

~TJ