Re: [css3-fonts] various comments and typos

On Mar 31, 2010, at 1:04 PM, John Hudson wrote:

> Actually, I think this concept of 'Titling Capitals' needs to be
> re-thought. The OpenType Layout feature <titl> does not specify capitals
> at all, only 'Titling' forms. While a number of font implementations
> provide only capitals in Titling form, there is nothing in the feature
> description to limit glyph coverage to capitals.

Indeed. The 'titl' feature in Adobe Garamond Pro contains what was the (pre-OpenType) Titling font of that family, which is essentially a complete MacRoman font, minus lowercase. In other words, it has a full set of titling forms for punctuation, numerals, currency, etc., in addition to uppercase letters.

> Not if implemented in OpenType Layout. A font can support arbitrary
> fractions, using contextual substitutions of numerator and denominator,
> without reliance on Unicode predefined fractions or, indeed, even the
> presence of precomposed glyphs for such fractions.

Correct -- but note also that in most Adobe fonts with arbitrary fractions, the feature does produce precomposed fraction "ligatures" when available (typically one-half, fourths, thirds, and eighths) and arbitrary fractions for anything else. (In the latter cases, this would probably include a substitution from a default slash character to a stylistic alternate that looks like a fraction-slash.)

Anyhow, the current description implies that feature 'frac' would be applied to a run of text, so from an OpenType perspective this seems correct.

-C