Re: [css21] Make font weight mapping rules normative

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:16:33 -0700
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:19 AM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> There may have been other things said here that weren't captured in
> the IRC log but I'd like to point out that there are two basic issues
> with font weights:
>
> (1) Given a specific value of font-weight, which face within a set
>    of faces for a given family should be selected?
>
> (2) Given a set of font faces, how to assign them onto the CSS 100 .. 900 scale?

Yeah, it may not have been clear, but what is intended is that the
fourth bullet in the 2.1 spec (detailing how to fill in holes in the
100-900 range) be made normative.  The previous bullets (talking about
how to assign font weights to CSS weights) is to be left in its
current state of implementation-defined-ness.