Re: CSS3: Suggestion for another list-style-type

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I know, but that's what was relevant.  If list-style-type on ::marker
>> determined the type of bullet that was shown absolutely, then that
>> means that it overrides the content property, which is weird.
>
> Exactly. This is my point. list-style-type and content are ambiguous. The
> standard should refrain from one and solely use the other.

Can't do that at this point, though.  The content property is a good
idea in general, and allows fancier things than list-style-type can.
List-style-type, on the other hand, is an established property that
acts quite nicely; without it you'd have to learn unicode escapes to
specify bullets, and learn how to use counters to specify numbers.

We had a brief discussion about it during a break in our meetings
yesterday, though, and think that your original suggestion (allowing
list-style-type to take a string) is a good idea.  We'll be reviving
the Lists module in the near future, and there's a good chance we'll
add that functionality.  Even though it's easy to just use the content
property for this, allowing it in list-style-type means that it will
cascade properly with other list-style-type declarations.