Re: Feature queries (was Proposal: writing-mode media feature)

sam <samuelp@iinet.net.au> wrote on 2010/03/26 18:01:51
> On 03/26/2010 12:56 PM, MURAKAMI Shinyu wrote:
> > I want the following way:
> >
> > <link rel="stylesheet" href="print-vertical.css"
> >   media="print and supports(-ah-writing-mode: tb-rl; -o-writing-mode: tb-rl; writing-mode: tb-rl)"
> > />
> >

> assumption: Currently there is no ability for either a style sheet or a
> UA to declare what specification they were written to or what
> specification they support.
>
> Given the assumption is true shouldn't you provide such a mechanism
> before catering for specific feature queries?

My first proposal "writing-mode media feature" was specific request
but now I understand a general mechanism should be defined and I
suggested the supports(...) syntax for that purpose.
The syntax may be not very good, and it should be discussed.
I believe it will help style sheet authors who want to use CSS3
features not only vertical-text.

More examples:

@media all and supports(color: rgba(0,0,0,0)) {
  /* stylesheet for UAs with rgba() support */
}

@media screen and (min-width: 700px) and
  supports(-moz-column-count; -webkit-column-count; column-count)
{
  /* stylesheet for screen devices with viewport wider than 700px
     and multi-column support */
}

@media all and supports(writing-mode: tb-lr) {
  /* stylesheet for UAs supporting tb-lr writing mode (for Mongolian script) */
}

--
ζ‘δΈŠ ηœŸι›„ (MURAKAMI Shinyu)
http://twitter.com/MurakamiShinyu