Re: CSS3: Suggestion for another list-style-type

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> We certainly could more explicitly talk about the effects that
>> list-style-type has on the ::marker pseudoelement.
>>
>> No reason to think about deprecating list-style-type, though.  In
>> addition to making it easier to type a small subset of possible
>> <glyph> values, it does a large number of ordered list types that are
>> more annoying to create explicitly with counters.
>
> Yes, you are right. I got mixed up between selectors and properties. Sorry
> for that...
>
> What I actually meant was to have list-style-type property become valid and
> common for the ::marker selector.
>
> In that case we can get rid of the content property and define a custom
> string using the list-style-type property, having its definition expanded by
> <string>. This way the look of a ::marker depended only on one single
> property. Not either this, or sometimes that, or other times another. See my
> point?

While that sort of makes sense for ::marker specifically, the content
property is valid on all elements, and acts precisely like it does on
::marker.  It would be much stranger if you couldn't use content to
change the value of ::markers, but you could for everything else
(note: no browser implements content on all elements *yet*, but they
will in time).

~TJ