Re: [css3-values] Computed Values definition wrong

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 01:07:38 +0100
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach L. David Baron:

 > > I sugggest changing it to something along the lines of:
 > >
 > >   "percentages must, whenever possible, be converted to an absolute value"
 >
 > But then you're left to defining what "whenever possible" means, and
 > without a clear definition it's likely to vary by the details of the
 > implementation.  That means, in turn, that the behavior of 'inherit'
 > would vary between implementations, which is bad.
 >
 > We already dealt with this problem, and we solved it by adding
 > "Computed value" lines to the definition of every property to say
 > exactly what computation should be performed at this stage.

Yes, that's what "whenever possible" would refer to. I don't think
there is any disagreement -- indeed, my point was that there are cases
when percentages can be expanded so we can't ban that expansion. And
I'm ok doing this on a per-property basis even if that excludes some
expansions that would otherwise be possible.

-h&kon