Re: CSS3: Suggestion for another list-style-type

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:30:20 -0700
To: Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> ::marker only pays attention to list-style-type when it has
>> content:normal (which is the default).  If you explicitly set content
>> to something else, it uses that instead.
>
> I don't like to overly stress this point, but to lower future ambiguity --
>  and to silently prepare deprecation of list-style-type -- wouldn't it be
> appropriate to move list-style-type definition completely over to the
> ::marker pseudo-element then? It's the ::marker responsible for rendering
> bullets, numbering etc. The <ul>/<ol> elements just provide an empty
> container box, but they are not responsible for anything li::marker-related.

We certainly could more explicitly talk about the effects that
list-style-type has on the ::marker pseudoelement.

No reason to think about deprecating list-style-type, though.  In
addition to making it easier to type a small subset of possible
<glyph> values, it does a large number of ordered list types that are
more annoying to create explicitly with counters.