Re: Frameset/Frame Specification Amendment (HTML+CSS)

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2010, at 1:29 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the value in expanding CSS's ability to style frames, though?
>> We don't want to encourage their use
>
> You don't, and a lot of other frames-haters don't, but I don't see that it
> should br the role of this WG to discourage the use of particular element of
> valid, non-deprecated HTML because of the design challenges associated with
> them. It is within our purview to see if there are reasonable ways to allow
> CSS styling of such elements in a way that is intuitive and predictable (in
> as much as we do with other replaced elements), instead of relying on the
> markup language only to do so.

It is deprecated, though.  <frame> and <frameset> are explicitly *not*
in the Elements of HTML chapter of HTML5, and instead are described in
the Obsolete Features chapter as a requirement for browsers in order
to correctly render legacy content.

It's really not worth our time or effort to work on this, imo.