Kerning in latest CSS3 draft

From: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:03:20 -0700
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:18 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I've posted a new version of the CSS3 Fonts Editor's Draft.
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/
>
> 4. Changed font-kerning to be just [ normal | none ]

I would like to circle back on this, and suggest that there needs to
be some kind of explicitly "on" option as well. Maybe I missed it in
the previous lengthy discussion, but if you tell me that Firefox will
interpret "font-kerning:normal" differently than it currently
"text-rendering:auto" that would alleviate my concern.

As an author, I want to be able to use a setting that tells apps such
as Firefox that I am serious about wanting kerning on, not just at its
discretion (for example, for text that's bigger than regular body
text).

Cheers,

"The rat's perturbed; it must sense nanobots! Code grey! We have a
Helvetica scenario!"  http://xkcd.com/683/