Re: [css3-color] #rrggbbaa annotation

From: David Chambers <david.chambers.05@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 22:26:42 +1300
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 25 March 2010 20:13, Patrick Garies wrote:

I have a feeling that your average author would assume that "AA" is decimal
> rather than hexadecimal and, thus, that 55 indicates 55% opacity (unlike
> with color, I've never seen any program represent opacity as anything other
> than a decimal number or percentage).

This is an excellent point. Opacity is generally specified in percentage
terms by design applications, and CSS uses values between 0 and 1 for the
opacity property. Conversion between these two units is trivial, and there's
very little room for confusion (only a tiny range of percentage values fall
between 0 and 1).

The fact that, as Patrick points out, there are "AA" values in #RRGGBBAA
which *look* like percentages is confusing in my book.

David