Re: [css3-color] #rrggbbaa annotation

Alberto Lepe <dev@alepe.com> wrote:
> ... the
> feature to enable #RRGGBBAA and #RGBA annotation
> for colors was rejected because it was "too late for this version".
>
> Many people here will agree that this is a really useful feature and I
> don't understand why is not been taken into account yet.
> We can't wait until CSS4 for this feature as most of the sites will be
> already using the RGBA or HSLA
> annotation to accomplish color transparency (by then), which will make
> the #RRGGBBAA recommendation out of time and useless in CSS4.

Why do you consider #rrggbbaa superior to rgba(rr,gg,bb,aa) ?

> I think most developers uses the HEX annotation because it is just
> simpler, shorter, cleaner and widely used in graphical applications.

In more detail, please?  My immediate reaction is that, far from
being "simpler" or "cleaner", #rrggbb is already too hard to read on
account of the absence of separators, and tacking an aa component on
the end just makes it worse; so I personally don't think #rrggbbaa
should be added to CSS at all.  (I'll grant you "shorter", but
terseness must give way to readability wherever the two are in
conflict.)

zw