Re: superiors, inferiors, ordinals, etc. (was: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2010-03-17)

John Daggett wrote:

> So simulated glyphs would be used in the fallback case, either when
> the feature was missing from the font or when it was missing for a
> given glyph.  I realize this is far from ideal, a mixture of
> real substitute glyphs and fake substitutes could occur, but I think it's
> better than just using default glyphs.

Is the method of simulation specified or recommended? In theory, there
is font info that can be used to define best scaling and positioning for
simulated superscript and subscript; in practice, in a lot of fonts (the
majority?), this information is not accurately set. It's one of those
vicious circles in which app makers ignore the data, discouraging font
makers from taking the time to calculate best values, which in turn
discourages app makers from making use of them.

John Hudson