Re: [css3-fonts] font-variant-numeric

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 02:35:34 -0700 (PDT)
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

John Hudson wrote:

> On the subject of terminology in
>    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/#font-variant-numeric-prop
> I find the use of the term 'font rendering' in this document
> unfortunate, and would like to request that it be changed. For font
> developers -- who spend a lot of time these days talking about what
> happens to text on screen -- rendering refers to glyph painting
> (typically some form of rasterisation). Hence, we talk about e.g.
> different kinds of rendering engines and models, Apple Quartz rendering
> vs. Microsoft ClearType rendering, hinting for different rendering
> environments, etc.
> The kind of glyph substitution and positioning behaviours and properties
> described in the draft document are what we would call text layout, not
> font rendering.

Yeah, I struggled over what term to use here, "font rendering" was by
no means the ideal term.

What I've called "font rendering properties" are properties not used
for selecting a face within a family but instead properties applied
when picking glyphs to display.  "Font feature properties" is probably
what I should use instead.

In places where rendering is discussed, maybe "text rendering" rather
than "font rendering" would be sufficiently distinct not to cause