[css3-fonts] character-transform and vertical-align

On 03/23/2010 02:49 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2010, at 1:23 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> My point is that this assumes that vertical-align us the only way people
>>> will want to deal with the fallback for SUP, and that assumption is
>>> erroneous, and will cause confusion for those using a different way.
>>
>> That is, however, the "official" way to do it.
>
> Number one, I don't think that will be obvious to everyone who wants to
> use this feature, and number two, it is limiting to those who might have
> good reason to handle the positioning in a different way.

1. We can put this example in the spec.

2. The shorthanding is to allow fallback for *legacy clients* that don't
    support the character-transform property. It doesn't have to be perfect.
    It would be foolish to complicate things by trying to guess which other
    properties an author is using to hack the layout into what they want:
    vertical-align is the standard way of handling this. Note that this
    legacy behavior is *not* triggered in the absence of the feature in the
    system fonts, it is only triggered in the absence of support for the
    character-transform property itself.

~fantasai