Re: Suggestion for generic CSS vendor prefix

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2010, at 8:31 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> 1: http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2010/03/css_vendor_pref_1.html
>> 2: http://lesscss.org/
>
> I would love to be able to do variables and mixins as part of normal CSS. Unfortunately, unless I used LESS to preprocess, I would have to wait until most Web browsers still in use were supporting it (I can't just have half my audience not have decent styling, just because they are using older browsers), and that might take a long while. Even so, I think it would be great if we could get those two parts of LESS, at least, into the spec.

Well, yeah, this wouldn't be an immediate solution.  But no solution
would be, even, say, moving to a single -draft- prefix, as there are
still tons of vendor-prefixed stuff out there.  So yeah, we'd need to
wait a while.  But it's probably a good idea, and I was just providing
this as a use-case.

It's fixing the symptoms, not the problem, but I don't think the
problem is solveable, so we should just try and fix the symptoms as
well as we can without introducing new problems.