On Mar 23, 2010, at 4:52 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> If I'm understanding this properly, presumably I'd write something like
>
>    sup {
>        vertical-align: super;
>        font-size: smaller;
>        line-height: normal;
>        character-transform: superscript;
>    }
>
> so as to get true superscript glyphs when using a suitable UA (and font), yet degrade gracefully on older UAs that don't recognize character-transform.

As I understand it, you wouldn't need to, as that would already be in the UA style sheet.

The problem I have with this, is that what if I want my fallback to be something else? What if I detest using 'vertical-align:sup' because of the way it screws with my line spacing on the parent block, and want to use something like this instead:

   sup {
       vertical-align: baseline;
       position:relative;
       font-size: .8em;
       top:-.4em;
   }

...which, BTW, I do have something like this on a site I'm currently responsible for (although, IIRC, I've also got some sort of IE hack in there too, using negative margin or something). I realize that I could have just set the line-height to 1px in the SUP, but the above method also gives me greater control over the position of the sup when I vary its size for headlines or mice-type.

I think if you are going to ignore something in the presence of 'character-transform: superscript', it should probably be ALL of the declared properties in SUP. I doubt if I am the only one with rules that change the default properties of SUP.