Re: transitions vs. animations

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:19:22 +0100
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach David Singer:

 > an element that rotates continuously (e.g. a clock hand), that is
 > moved to different places smoothly on user input?
 > rotation=animation, smooth moving=transition.

In my mind, these are both animations triggered by different events.

In the current model, one set of properties are tied to user input (it
seems that most transitions are combined with :hover, no?) and another
set of properties are not. We call the first set "transitions" and the
second set "animations". Transitions have slightly simpler syntax with
no need for @-rules, while animations can be more expressive.

I propose that we reduce the set of properties to one, have a unified
syntax, use one name (animations) and add methods for attaching
animations to different type of events, including :hover and (say)
:anti-hover. I don't have a concrete proposal for this, the potential
benefits seem valuable enough to warrant a whiteboard discussion.

-h&kon