Re: [css3-fonts] font-specific feature handling

On Mar 19, 2010, at 12:32 PM, Richard Fink wrote:

> I'd rather see blank space than have the UA "fill in" the
> glyphs with another font that only confuses me as I try to design and
> debug.)

[...]

> Restricting authors in an attempt to save them from their own mistakes
> doesn't make sense - and if fallback to a keyword font family could be
> turned off, the chance of an unintended consequence could be reduced to
> nothing. If that's what the author wants.

Sorta, maybe... but I think you are pushing the envelope with this suggestion. I don't like the idea of the content just disappearing because the author wants it to appear "just so".

I think we have made great progress in giving designers control over appearance, and some reassurance that things will appear as they desire almost all of the time... but the web is (IMO) still about delivery of information, and I think users deserve to get it, even if the designer doesn't like the way it looks.

-Christopher