Re: [css3-multicol] 'column-rule-color' values, allowed and initial

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:35:38 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> 1)
>> The value type of 'column-rule-color' is <color>, whereas the
>> 'column-rule'
>> shorthand also accepts the 'transparent' keyword. Presumably the keyword
>> should be allowed in both cases? If so, the 'column-rule-color' entry
>> could
>> say "<color> | transparent" and 'column-rule' could say
>> "<'column-rule-width'> || <'column-rule-style'> ||
>> <'column-rule-color'>".
>
> This is likely simply a result of Multicol not explicitly depending on
> Colors Level 3, where transparent is a valid value for <color>.
>
> We had a discussion a few months ago about this, which didn't come to
> a conclusion that satisfied me, but essentially it was decided to just
> leave it with a reference to CSS2.1, but allow implementors to use the
> Colors Level 3 if they wished.  When Colors reaches an appropriate
> level on the Rec track, Multicol will have its reference updated.

Yes, it looks like the inconsistencies started when level 3 colors were
introduced.

Then my suggestion still seems right, and when multicol updates its
<color> reference to level 3, the " | transparent" part can be removed.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA