Re: [css3-multicol] Typos and related issues

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:34:04 +0100, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

>> 6)
>> 4. Column gaps and rules, first paragraph
>> "The length of the column gaps and column rules is equal to the length
>> of the columns."
>> This makes no sense; I don't know what it is supposed to say. (Maybe
>> that (in the inline progression direction) the lengths of the column
>> gaps plus the lengths of the column boxes equals the length of the
>> multicol element?)
>
> For length you should read height, i.e., the length in the block
> progression direction. The sentence simply says that there is no control
> over the length of the rule, the length is automatic.

Ohh... of course. Then for clarity I would suggest something like

"Within a given column row, the length (in the block progression
direction) of column gaps and column rules is equal to the column heights."

The "column height" term is already defined elsewhere in terms of block
(progression) direction, though it seems that the latter term isn't
defined anywhere other than the CSS Text Layout Editor's Draft...

I also note that the column rule height can be inferred from the next
paragraph anyway. And it seems that the details are a bit scattered across
sections 2 and 4.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA