Re: [css3-fonts] proposal for 'font-size-adjust: auto'

On Friday 2010-03-19 00:40 -0700, John Daggett wrote:
> David Baron wrote:
>
> > 'auto'
> >    Behaves just like <number>, except the number to use is the
> >    aspect value of the first font in the initial value of the
> >    'font-family' property.  Instead of the first font, user agents
> >    may use a different font in that list (the initial value of
> >    'font-family') based on what character ranges the fonts in the
> >    list provide and the language of the document or content.
>
> By "initial value" you mean the user-agent defined default font?

Yes.

> If so,
> that's often not a single font but a set of fonts depending on language
> and/or character value.  How does the user agent choose that single value?

That's what the wording about either (a) the first font in the list
or (b) doing something with character ranges or languages is about.
I'm not sure what the ideal behavior for this is, and I think
there's some room for experimentation.

-David