Re: [css3-fonts] font-specific feature handling

David Singer wrote:

> so, why doesn't the font-name appear in the font-variant rule?  I must
> be being dense...
>
> instead of
>
> On Mar 18, 2010, at 10:31 , John Daggett wrote:
> >  @font-face {
> >    font-family: MyFancyFont;
> >    font-variant: styleset(1,3);
> >  }
> >

> we write
>  @font-face {
>    font-family: MyFancyFont;
>    font-variant: styleset(MyFancyFont , 1,3);
>  }
>
> which leaves us open to different style-sets for different fonts,
> which means you could customize your fallbacks (or even your expected
> substitutions) through multiple font-variant rules...

Not quite sure what you're describing here.  As the spec is currently
written, font-variant values within an @font-face rule apply *only* to
that font face.  So with your definition above, the styleset(1,3)
setting would only apply to MyFancyFont, not to Gabriola in the fallback
case:

  h3 { font-family: MyFancyFont, Gabriola; }

Perhaps you were suggesting something along the lines of option (3) in
the original post?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Feb/0244.html

Regards,

John