Re: [CSS21] 10.1 Containing block for absolute elements with inline-level nearest positioned ancestor

On Mar 16, 2010, at 9:00 AM, Bruno Fassino wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My recent Webkit Nightly download behaved like the renderings on that page said it should.
>>
>> Whoops. Sorry, I thought the last two examples were renderings of how it was supposed to look. I didn't read carefully enough. Webkit is indeed using the left edge as the right edge in the examples, instead of using the right edge of the last box.
>

> Thanks Brad for the check.  I've added a picture of the "desired"
> rendering of those two cases, hoping to make the thing a bit less
> confusing...

Yes, thanks.

So, this makes me wonder how IE7 (in standards mode) handles a case like this:

.fullbox {
	border:.5em solid orange;
	background:url(big-image.png);
	top:0; bottom:0; left:0; right:0;
}

It seems like Webkit, Opera, IE8, and Firefox are all doing what they are so that they can draw such a box as a single rectangle. Does IE7 divide it in half, instead of keeping the positioned item whole? That doesn't seem correct either to me, but maybe it is?