Re: ol style - a number in a circle

On Friday 05 March 2010 06:52:00 Patrick Garies wrote:
> On 3/3/2010 9:04 AM, Thomas Phinney wrote:
> >> Assuming you were to have a library of fonts or able to make your
> >> own fonts, this would also give you a bit more of the desired
> >> freedom; I don't think it would accommodate multi-color bullets
> >> though. I wonder if SVG fonts allow for multiple colors...
> >
> > If it were a custom font, you would deal with multiple colors via
> > distinct glyphs, which would be made to overlap by giving all but
> > the last glyph zero advance width. The colors would be specified
> > manually, as that data is not part of the font proper.
> >
> > This is how (for example) multi-color logos are put into custom
> > fonts.
>
> Hmm... Learn something new every day. They still haven't covered a
> lot of the little details about typography in the publishing classes
> I'm taking.
>
> That doesn't answer the original question about colored SVG fonts
> though. That would be a way to solve this on the Web anyway if you
> could just link to a font with colored characters via CSS3 Fonts.

Yes, SVG fonts can be multi-color. See towards the end of
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/fonts.html#GlyphElement

If the glyph consists of more than a single path, then each part can
have its own color. You could even use CSS to style the glyph. (A glyph
with an explicit color will always have that color, it will no longer
inherit the color of the element that it is used in.)

Bert