RE: [css3-fonts] opentype font feature support

Thomas Phinney wrote:

>I don't much care for "auto" here. Surely "kern" could be used and
>would be clear enough.

I'm losing the semantic gist here, as if the apples were turning to oranges.
If:
"none" means no kerning.
"normal" means "use the kerning data that exists in the font"
"auto" means "user agent, you make the decision on kerning"

Then "normal" means "kern". "Kern" wouldn't substitute for "auto". Or are
you suggesting that "auto" be excised?

And if I'm getting the apples and oranges mixed up, I'm assuming others
will, too, as I'm no stranger to CSS syntax.

font-kerning: none | normal | auto
seems perfectly ok as long as the properties mean what I think they mean.

Thomas?

Regards,

rich