Re: [css3-background] background-shorthand and its background-clip side-effect

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 00:06:10 -0800
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "fantasai (fantasai@inkedblade.net)" <fantasai@inkedblade.net>, Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
On 03/03/2010 11:20 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:

> I can see these points. The way I'd like to see them addressed ... single slash ...

That's overkill. There's no reason to involve a slash to address Sylvain's
concern about being able to set both. You just put

   [border-box|padding-box|content-box]{0,2}

in the background shorthand. Zero occurrences sets both background-clip
and background-origin to their initial values. One occurrence sets both
to the given value. Two (immediately adjacent) occurrences sets the first
to origin and the second to clip (because you position before you clip).

This is much more consistent with CSS syntax elsewhere.

~fantasai