Re: [CSS21] Issue 149 - px vs. pt

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:12 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>wrote:

> - Defining mm, cm, and in relative to px has rather unexpected
>    effects on Media Queries: I can no longer query the physical
>    dimensions of my screen or viewport, only its pixel grid size.

What are the use cases for querying the physical dimensions of the screen or
viewport?

I suspect those use cases are very limited, just like the use cases for true
physical units are very limited.

This addresses the use cases for real physical units, addresses the
> web-compat problem with authors mixing points and pixels, and avoids
> redefining the millimetre. Given that roc suspects it won't break
> the Web, I'd rather go this route.

Actually, I'm not sure. We do have a number of tests that break if you make
1pt != 1in/72. Tests that you wrote, in fact :-). But I'm not sure that
you're a representative Web developer :-).

Rob
53:5-6]