Re: [css3-text-layout][svg] writing-mode values across CSS and SVG

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:45:23 +1000
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 02:21:51PM +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> 2) SVG also drops bt-rl, tb-lr and bt-lr.
> I suspect SVG drops certain direction combinations due to the lack of
> known script for them

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text-layout/#writing-mode1
gives for each 'writing-mode' value an example of its use.

(Incidentally, where's the property that controls how or whether glyphs are rotated
 when put in a different writing direction from usual?  I thought it was part of the
 css3-text-layout module.)

The bt-.. cases can also occur when vertical text (whether body text or a
table) contains both some text of a usually-lr language and some text of a
usually-rl language.  (There are different ways of writing the text in that
case, which is one reason why there's value in having CSS control over it.)

pjrm.