Re: [css-fonts] Is it possible to select a vertical variant in a font?

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:13:34 -0700
To: Ishii Koji <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
CC: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, www-style@w3.org, Ken Lunde <lunde@adobe.com>
Ishii Koji wrote:

> I agree that prepending "@" isn't a good way to go. I'm thinking to display some of glyphs from the vertical glyph set of a font in my product plan, and wondering if there's a better and standardized way to do it. It sounds like the answer is no.

> Is it possible to consider for future additions? If CSS is going to support font variants feature in OpenType--although I'm not sure if similar feature is available in other font format but I guess so--maybe vertical could also be added as part of the efforts. I couldn't find that kind of variants support either though.

In OpenType Layout, the relevant features for vertical glyph
substitutions are

(although I'm not sure why a separate feature is needed/used for Kana)

and for vertical glyph spacing are

I'm cc'ing this to Ken Lunde at Adobe, who should be able to provide
more information on these features, how they are implemented in Adobe's
CJK fonts, and perhaps how they might be implemented via CSS.

John Hudson