Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

On 06/10/2010 02:55 PM, Ishii Koji wrote:
> I'm new to this ML, so please forgive me if I miss something already discussed.
>
> I tried to follow this thread as much as possible, but I just don't understand
> the need for these things. I also don't understand why margin-top is for top
> even in vertical text flow. Could anyone point me where this is defined?

left, right, top, and bottom are absolute directions in English. Having
"margin-left" correspond to "the top margin" of a page makes no sense.

> I could find some reference for block-flow property at:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text-layout/#details
> and this mentions that:
> LR layout '*-left' is analogous to TB's '*-top'

The layout *rules* are analogous: for example, left and right margins
in vertical mode are calculated the way top and bottom margins are
calculated in horizontal mode. However this does not mean the entire
system gets turned on its side.

(I take your comment to mean that the draft should be more clear on
this point.)

> This behavior matches to what I expect. But it sounds like we're doing opposite
> for writing-mode if I understand correctly.
>
> I would vote the writing-mode should be consistent with the block-flow property.
> Could someone please tell me what I'm missing?

'writing-mode' is a shorthand that also sets the 'block-flow' property.
The behavior when either triggers a vertical writing mode is therefore
the same.

'writing-mode' also happens to set 'direction', according to the draft,
which is a horrible, horrible way to do things from an i18n perspective
because it overrides the HTML [dir] attribute (and this is almost never
the author's intent). :(

~fantasai