From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of John Daggett
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:47 PM
To: MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

> > I strongly suggest that rather than simply add features to CSS3 Text
> > Layout we first consider the potential impact that vertical text
> > modes will have on the whole of CSS.
>
> Although your approach would provide a better balance and consistent
> design eventually, I am very worried about the wide scope of such an
> approach and very significant delays that might caused by it.
>
> "The Requirements for Japanese Text Layout" (W3C Note) was started as
> a reply to questions and requests similar to yours.  The project dates
> back to 2005.  Members of the project has spent enourmous amount of
> time.

Right, the "The Requirements for Japanese Text Layout" is a fantastic description of the rules of Japanese layout.  But it's clear to me that vertical text layout isn't a simple *addition* to CSS, it's a reworking of CSS; very basic properties need to be rethought, adjusted, tweaked, etc.

That's why I think it's important to try and understand the full scope of how vertical text affects CSS, to simply list existing properties and how they might be affected. Doesn't need to be a PhD thesis, just a simple methodical analysis that covers CSS 2.1 and additions proposed for CSS3.

John Daggett