Re: [css3-content] ::outside become "containing block"

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:13:04 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Paul Duffin <pduffin@volantis.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On 6/10/10 12:04 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> Just from the spec, though, this area is underdefined.  I *suspect*
> that ::outside's containing block is its superior's containing block,
> and that it can (when appropriate) be the containing block for its
> superior, exactly as if you'd simply wrapped the superior in a<div>.

Note that the first clause of that last sentence is contradicts the last
one, if one does something like "foo::outside { position: absolute; }"
say when foo itself is not positioned.

The last clause is the one that would make the most sense from an
authoring perspective.

> (Personally, I suspect an ::inside pseudo would work better.  It would
> wrap the superior's children, rather than wrapping the superior
> itself.)

Offhand, that seems like it would be easier to implement, but doesn't
work well for replaced elements, whereas ::outside doesn't care what
it's wrapping.

-Boris