Re: [css3-content] ::outside future

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/-moz-border-top-colors has info.

> You could of course add or extend the existing CSS properties to support the use case in a similar way to how the background properties were modified to support multiple backgrounds. However, it seems to me that ::outside would have been a far more elegant way of addressing the multiple background use case.

Perhaps, except for the implementation and specification difficulties it
represents...

>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html#cascade. The ::outside pseudo
>> element behaves like every other pseudo element and inherits from its
>> superior parent.
>>
>> Does it, though?
>
> I think that it does as
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-content/#wrapping-elements-in-pseudo-elements-wit explicitly states in the section on ::outside that
> "...pseudo-elements inherit from the elements (or pseudo-elements) that generate them..."
>
> The example clearly shows that ::outside(1) inherits from the element.

Ah, so by "superior parent" you mean the element ::outside is being
applied to.  OK.

So this gets us into a situation where the parent box is not what's
being inherited from, which doesn't usually happen in CSS at the moment
(a few anonymous boxes being the only exceptions).  That's one of the
issues that leads to difficulties.

-Boris