Re: [css3-text-layout] margin-before/after/start/end etc. and :ttb pseudo-classes

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:33:49 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>, www-style@w3.org
Also sprach fantasai:

 > > I took that to mean that the mechanism to change the default writing mode, which
 > > lies somewhere outside the document and style sheet (as we have most recently
 > > been talking about it), has changed the mode to 'tb-rl', as though that was the
 > > initial value.
 >
 > Sorry, you'll have to explain what exactly you mean by that.
 >
 > The initial value is what I get if I, as an author, set 'writing-mode' to the
 > keyword 'initial', or, if I , as an author, set 'writing-mode' to inherit on
 > the root element. Are you saying that this value should be changed by the UA?

Yes. People have been asking for a way to set styles based on the
writing direction, and for the (primary horizontal/vertical) writing
direction to be changeable by the user. The idea is therefore to use
the initial value of 'writing-mode' as a means of communication
between the user and the CSS formatter; the UA would offer some UI
that alters the initial value of 'writing-mode'. So, the initial value
of 'writing-mode' would change from 'lt-tb' to 'depends on user
agent'.

Cheers,

-h&kon