Re: [css3-text-layout] New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc.

Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote on 2010/06/04 18:23:19
>  > > Something like: "if a property has an alias, resolve it and let it
>  > > fight its way through cascading...". Hmm.
>  >
>  > You can't resolve before cascading, can you?  Or rather, you can't
>  > resolve before you have cascaded and maybe-inherited writing-mode.
>
> Yes, 'writing-mode' must be processed to specified value before the
> DDAs can be cascaded. That's an unhealthy inter-dependency between
> properties, it seems.

I am still thinking that DDAs is a good idea and Mozilla and WebKit's
*-start/end implementations seem good enough.
But I also noted a smart proposal that fantasai wrote. See:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2006Jun/0084.html

In this proposal, logical properties (*-before/after/smart/end) are
not aliases of physical properties (*-top/bottom/left/right) and
each property cascades and receives its specified value independently
and the priority between logical and physical is defined by the
direction-model property.
In this model, it can avoid "unhealthy inter-dependency between properties".

We should discuss about DDAs versus this model -- I want a good name :)

MURATA Makoto wrote:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Jun/0159.html
| Recent implementations of EPUB in Japan have started to abuse existing margin, etc.
| properties by making them relative to the writing direction chosen by the user or viewer.

This shows writing direction relative (logical) properties are useful enough.

I believe that basic common styles for multiple writing modes should be
able to specify with one stylesheet using logical properties and when
we want further results for each writing mode, we should use alternate
stylesheets, or perhaps Media Queries querying UA features and/or
user preferences.

Best regards,

--
村上 真雄 (MURAKAMI Shinyu)