RE: [CSS21] bidi, text-align, and list markers

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 13:33:38 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: "Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin" <aharon@google.com>, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, W3C style mailing list <www-style@w3.org>, Adil Allawi <adil@diwan.com>, "public-i18n-bidi@w3.org" <public-i18n-bidi@w3.org>

> > For clarity, could you spell out what combination of proposed
> attributes defines each of the above?
>
> The first is
> <ul dir=ltr>
>   <li>hello</li>
>   <li dir=rtl>HELLO</li>
> </ul>
>
> The second is
> <ul dir=ltr>
>   <li>hello</li>
> </ul>
> (Actually, because this case is pure rtl text, the span isn't
> necessary.  But if there is mixed text that could confuse the bidi
> algorithm, such that you want to mark all of it as rtl, you need to
> use the span as I have above.)
>
> The third and fourth are the same as the first and second,
> respectively, just with the <ul> set to a shrinkwrap width through
> some mechanism (such as floating, or being a table cell).

Right, but Aharon is proposing CSS to achieve these effects (and possibly avoid the shrinkwrap, no?) and I'm curious to see how he would propose the frozen 'text-align' to operate.

Addison