Re: [CSS21] Height of cell box should not be influenced by 'height'

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 17:27:51 +1000
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:41:14PM -0700, L. David Baron wrote:

> Change the third paragraph from: ...
> into:
>   # ... The table cell's 'height' property can
>   # influence the height of the row,

I'd suggest adding "(see above)" here: i.e. as a reader, I'd want to know how
it can influence the height of the row; the words "(see above)" are intended to
convey that the only influence it has is via the provision to be made in the
second paragraph.

> In the second paragraph, change:
>   # it is the maximum of the row's specified 'height' and the
>   # minimum height (MIN) required by the cells
> to say:
>   # it is the maximum of the row's specified 'height', the specified
>   # 'height' of each cell in the row, and the minimum height (MIN)
>   # required by the cells

Why the word "specified" here?  That suggests that it's the specified value,
whereas presumably we want the computed value.

What effect, if any, should 'min-height' or 'max-height' have on table cells
or rows?

I'd recommend changing visudet.html's definitions of 'height', 'min-height'
and 'max-height' too.  After all, these purport to define the meaning of these
properties.

(Granted, each of these issues exists whether or not the above proposal is
accepted.)

pjrm.