Re: [css3-flexbox] flexbox questions

From: "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:51 PM
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@microsoft.com>; "Brad Kemper"
<brad.kemper@gmail.com>; "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [css3-flexbox] flexbox questions

> We should just kill box-pack / box-align in favor of flex units, and then
> there won't be any ambiguity regarding placement. :)

While this is make sense to do in general but there
are cases when something like content-align makes
real sense. With or without flex units.

Consider this case:

If outer div will have content-align:right then
inner div will stuck on right side of the outer div.
In the same way as if direction:rtl defined for that element.

With flex units content-align also make sense if
sum of flexes is less than 1fx or there are max constraints
in place.

Ideally it would be just perfect if all aspects of RTL/LTR/TTB
were declared explicitly in CSS from the very beginning as
separate properties. So would be able to define the following in
default style sheets:

*[dir=ltr]
{
   [writing-]direction: ltr;