Re: [css3-flexbox] max-height and box-align (RE: flexbox questions)

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

It's possibly reasonable, but that doesn't mean it can't be confusing
too.  ^_^  Having max-height ever be ignored is somewhat confusing to
me.

>> > (3) Yet another option:
>> >
>> > Drop box-flex-group.
>> > Max-width (for horizontal) tramps the content width, but the outcome is
>> simply an input into flex distribution, just like in tables (that is what I think
>> tables do, correct me if I am wrong).
>> > Max-height also overrides content height but then height can be increased
>> by stretch alignment.
>>
>> Ah, so max-height just provides a limit for the height before flex
>> computation.  That's a possibility.  I'd want min-height to work the same way,
>> though, along with min/max-width.
>
> This is interesting to explore. You have shown in use cases that if equal size is desired (a.k.a. absolute flex) it can be done by using width:0, but then it is much harder or impossible to apply min-width (e.g. not shrink beyond content width).

In current implementations, at least, that doesn't actually work (I
talk about that in use case #20 that I'm not sure if it's an impl bug
or a spec bug).  Even if you set width:0, Firefox still uses the
min-content width of the box as the preferred size for flex
calculations.

You're right, though, that doing so then makes it difficult to use min-width.