Re: Flexbox Draft, with pictures!

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:36 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>>   I think it's the least useful
>> of the box-align values, though, so I'm okay with not hitting it
>> immediately.
>
> I think you are seriously underestimating how common baseline alignment is with horizontal flexboxes.  Controls in dialogs are all baseline-aligned in XUL.  In Apple's uses of flexbox in our products, horizontal boxes are also typically baseline aligned.  This is basic behavior and is an absolute requirement.
>
> A flexing textfield or dropdown list with a corresponding label is a common example of where you need baseline alignment.

I certainly could be!  I've never found much use for baseline
alignment in anything I've personally done, so I'm extrapolating from
that.  If baseline alignment is that important, then I need to make
sure it's addressed in my proposal.

What precisely does it mean for things to be baseline-aligned in XUL,
or in Apple's horizontal boxes?  The current Flexbox draft says that
the boxes are positioned such that their first lines of text have
their baselines aligned.  Is that consistent with what you guys do in
your controls?

Do some elements in a horizontal box baseline-align while others do
something else, or does the entire box baseline-align?  If the latter,
is this just due to implementation details or is it actually rare to
baseline-align only some of the children?

~TJ