Re: [css3-text-layout] Towards better support of CJK user requirements (was New editor's draft - margin-before/after/start/end etc)

On Wednesday 2010-06-02 05:04 +0900, MURAKAMI Shinyu wrote:
> I tested your example with WebKit (with s/Moz/webkit/), the result is:
> 32px
> 48px
> -webkit-margin-start: 2em; margin-left: 3em;
> 48px
>
> It seems correct. I'd like to standardize this behavior.

I agree that it's one of reasonable choices for correct behavior.

However, I'd probably prefer "margin-left: 3em; margin-start-value:
2em", but that only makes sense if the longhand properties are not
special hidden properties.  I think the cost of hidden properties in
terms of object model complexity is probably not worth their
benefits.

But the real issue isn't what the correct behavior is; it's that the
proposal needs to be precise enough that somebody reading it can
determine the correct behavior by reading the proposal.

> "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote on 2010/06/02 0:40:48
> > The editor's draft specification currently says only:
> >   # If both logical and physical properties are specified on the
> >   # same element, these corresponding properties are treated as same
> >   # property and then normal cascading rules are applied.
> > This is ambiguous; it does not describe a mechanism for "treated as
> > the same property", and therefore does not describe a single
> > interoperable behavior for many cases.
>
> I'll change the wording to: ..., logical properties are converted to
> physical properties ...

That doesn't help.  The specification needs to describe the model,
as I said:

> > In order to be clear about the complexity of the proposal, the
> > specification should (1) describe how cascading is to be handled,
> > probably by incorporating something like one of the proposals cited
> > in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Jun/0003.html
> > and (2) describe whether the longhand properties both proposals
> > require are normal properties or are (as they are in Mozilla's
> > implementation) a new class of hidden properties and (3) if the new
> > properties are hidden, describe the effects of hidden properties on
> > the CSS object model.

-David