Re: Flexbox Draft, with pictures!

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 15:36:29 -0500
Cc: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Jun 1, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>   I think it's the least useful
> of the box-align values, though, so I'm okay with not hitting it
> immediately.

I think you are seriously underestimating how common baseline alignment is with horizontal flexboxes.  Controls in dialogs are all baseline-aligned in XUL.  In Apple's uses of flexbox in our products, horizontal boxes are also typically baseline aligned.  This is basic behavior and is an absolute requirement.

A flexing textfield or dropdown list with a corresponding label is a common example of where you need baseline alignment.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)